News conference notes from Fayetteville, GA:
From: WGGL shown on Fox News
- Lt. Pope: WWE called police officials at 2:30PM on Monday over concern for Benoit’s well being. Police found all three bodies in the home. “Double Homicide Suicide” is the official ruling.
- It appears Benoit killed his wife on Friday, his son shortly after, and likely hanged himself either late Saturday night or early Sunday.
- No suicide note was left behind.
- Asphyxiation is the official ruling for Benoit’s wife and son deaths.
- Benoit was previously arrested for a DUI.
- A lot of prescription medication was found in the home, legal prescriptions.
- Police found anabolic steroids in the home.
- No comment from police regarding a possible motivation.
- He killed himself several hours, but no more than a day, after killing son Daniel.
- Police is unaware of prior domestic violence.
- District Attorney Scott Ballard stated that a Bible was placed near each murder victim.
- Benoit bond Nancy’s hands and feet and she was wrapped in a towel. Blood was found near Nancy’s body.
- In 2003, a temporary restraining order was sought but later dropped.
- Benoit made no attempt to hide the bodies.
- The DA himself has not heard from WWE.
- Daniel was found in an upstairs bedroom. Benoit’s wife was also found in an upstairs family room, and Benoit hung himself in the weight room in the basement.
- The toxicology reports are still pending. It will probably take more than two weeks for the reports to be finished.
- Benoit apparently called WWE stating that Daniel was coughing up blood, thus likely the “personal reasons” for missing weekend house shows.